The Synagogue is the centre of judaic life, a place for prayer, and for the study of the “Torá”, as well as a place where the community can meet. The “micvé”, a tank, used for purification in religious rituals, is in an annex of the religious building.
In 1492 the ancient synagogue ceased to function, and following this was converted in to a dwelling from the sixteenth century. The partial demolition of the city-wall for the construction of a home for the Sarmiento-Celaya family in 1861, made it possible to preserve the synagogue’s medieval patio which is the only one remaining in Galicia.
☛| NEXT POINT